Running a small business requires continuous dedication. You’re responsible for almost every aspect of the company’s success, from sales to bookkeeping to simply getting the work done. While you’re busy with the day-to-day needs, you must also focus on keeping your pipeline active to ensure a steady stream of work.
Here are a few tips to keep your small business train rolling:
- Maintain good habits — One of the most difficult aspects of running a small business is consistency. You’re pulled in several directions, so you need to train yourself to follow good habits. Establish an organizational system you’re comfortable maintaining and follow it consistently.
- Avoid complacency — You have a good stable of clients, and solid networking group, and plenty of work in front of you. Don’t get content. Keep looking for opportunities to meet new prospective clients while staying in contact with older ones. Sometimes those in your older book of business need a little nudge. Stay hungry and avoid complacency.
- Stay Engaged — Your clients are busy doing their jobs, so finding time in their schedule can be a long process. Keep at it! A friendly email or call every couple of weeks reminds them you’re still there to help out. Until they directly and unequivocally say no to your services, stay engaged.
- Provide Value — Sometimes the best way to generate sales is to offer unexpected value. Suppose, for example, you have a client in the home repair industry. If you find marketing or branding material such as an article or competitor’s collateral you think is effective, send it their way. Doing so indicates you’re invested in their success. When the time comes they’re ready to act on new initiatives, the hope is they remember your efforts.
- Try to Meet — For many sales relationships, the last barrier is that face-to-face meeting. Actively look for ways to meet your potential customer so they can get a full sense of who you are, your authenticity, and how passionate you are about helping them succeed.
Do you run a small business? What tips do you have for improving sales? Contact us today.